Monday, January 10, 2011

The Omen (1976)

I cannot even begin to explain why I have never seen this awesome display of movie making. I even saw Omen III: The Final Conflict when it was first released in theatres in 1981.

The Omen has everything - backroom adoptions of the son of devil, the birthday party from hell (literally), a suicidal nanny, dogs that make Cujo look like a cute puppy, a priest being speared / killed by a metal pole in a cemetery, main characters getting killed off in the second act, David Warner, David Warner (literally) losing his head by a projectile sheet of glass, a homicidal nanny, Atticus Finch stabbing said homicidal nanny in the neck with an ice pick, a killer Oscar-winning score, a great final shot of Damien smiling, and so much more.

I always thought that the story focused on the evil doings of Damien (as it was in the previously mentioned sequel). Instead what I got was an entertaining story about half the characters trying to convince Gregory Peck to kill his son and the other half trying to keep him from killing the boy. Good times indeed.

Not sure if I want to see the first sequel or the remake that came out a few years ago, but I am curious to re-watch Omen III to see if it holds up. I doubt that it will after watching the original.

If I had to rate it, I would say a 4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment